Sunday, December 20, 2009

Bridging Volunteers, Touching Lives


I would like to share this to all especially KAGAY-ANONS. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 6pm-8pm, volunteers gather together at Magsaysay Park, Divisoria, Cagayan de Oro City.

Bridging Volunteers, Touching Lives

Our Story
It was 10 o’clock in the evening when we were hanging out with my friends, Sheena and Philip at the Magsaysay Park after a long and tiring preparation of the SK activities.

A little boy came to us and asked for “usa ka piso”. As I gave him the coin, I asked him what is the English word of “usa ka piso”? – a long breathe before he answered my question. He said one! Wow! Very good… I asked him again. How about “dos”? The boy paused for a while and thinking what would it be the right answer. Without a doubt, he shouted two! Whooaa! Very good and then I gave him the 5 peso coin.

I can really see his eagerness to learn – learning the Basic English and Mathematics. It is wonderful if we share our knowledge to others especially the boy we met at the park. It is also a venue for us to promote peace in the city.

And so, after our discussion concerning street children – crossing confidently in the street, begging for coins and food. However, they are also the park attendant who will take care of your car – they find ways to get money for their food.

However, these children are also prone to drugs – some of them smelling or inhaling “rugby” as an alternative for their food. I really don’t know the effect of this toxic material, but it is evidently caused brain damage.

Friends, as we try to figure it out on how could we really help these children despite of their struggle in the street – their willingness to acquire and to learn something invoked our hearts to take the actions – as brothers and sisters in Christ we are called to share our blessings, our knowledge and our time to others especially the street children.

My friends Philip, Sheena and I decided to initiate street tutorial. Philip suggested that he would celebrate his birthday with the street children at the same time we will conduct tutorial first. And so, that was the first time we had our street tutorial. Philip invited his classmates, friends, club members and even his family. Sheena invited her classmates, SK leaders, youth leaders and other volunteers. I also invited my friends, my volunteers, and office mates.

It was a good opportunity for us to touch lives and bridging the volunteers. I realized that there are volunteers, youth and even professional people who are willing to render and share their time and knowledge to the street children. Our motivation to continue bridging the volunteers in order for them to touch lives especially the street children manifested their response to take the actions.

After 12 tutorial sessions, we have gathered volunteers to render their time in the tutorial – coming from different schools, youth organizations, institutions and individuals. We also gathered several sponsors to give bread and juice for our snacks. I really appreciate for their kind heart and generosity.


Generous people
I would like to acknowledge all generous people who have helped us in continuing our street tutorial. They have touched many street children through their generosity in giving the educational materials, foods and their money. Several generous people that I would like to thank. These are the following sponsors: Damie Emata, Chissan Carmelotes, Mellany Hugo, Jose Emmanuel Patrimonio, Juelemer Aying, Franco Justo Lacandalo, Fra-and Quimpo, Camillia Bollozos, Isabel Macaibay, Gay Go, Kristine Galarrita, Carla Vergara – Gonzales, Marise Mahuyop, Menmen Pangan, Jong Pimentel, Debra Perez, Rey Rafael Dayrit, Paolo Elmaga, Alexis Baldea, Merridy Akiat, Jhecyl Paragoso, Chique Balaga, Edward Salilig, Reeno Febrero, SK Chairperson Joy of Brgy 35, Reeno Febrero, Rosario Lei Pasimio.


Our Vision
Last October 14, 2009, we decided to create a name for our initiative. Sheena Lim, Philip Flores, Christine Eduave, Danikka Fabela, Jett Torres and Isamael Salarda as our facilitator. We named our initiative as Youth Advocates for Alternative Volunteerism “Bridging the Volunteers, Touching Lives”.

What are the objectives of this initiative? We aim to gather various groups of volunteers to respond to the present situation of our country. And, as one goal we render our time to teach street children on Basic English, Mathematics and Art Skills Enhancement.

We believe that we can support the Millennium Development Goal 2, which is to Achieve Universal Primary Education. Our effort to educate the young is our manifestation to give hope to our motherland.

I hope that this initiative would give us hope, improve and change our country. Let us continue our struggle, our journey, our pride, and our love of our country. Together let us make a difference and embrace change. This is an alternative way of volunteerism. Support us and be involved.



0 comments: